Pages

Wednesday 14 March 2012

Evaluation Q1 - Conventions of Our Magazine and Poster


MAGAZINE CONVENTIONS

Main coverlines should always promote the movie. In this case, the main coverline relates to our movie ‘red ink’ and the main character. I made this in bold, larger than any coverline so it stands out it is the same font as the masthead so they are the main focus of the magazine front cover. ‘The Cut’ is our masthead, which is positioned behind the killers head mainly so that the title does not interfere with the main image, which is very important. We have also included a selling line which is positioned above the masthead which is ‘Number One Magazine For Horror Exclusives’.  There are other articles place on the magazine front cover, for two of the articles I used images to emphasise their importance, so they can catch the attention of the audience. I used the same colour scheme of red, black and white in the film poster so as to keep the synergy the same. I also included a puff, a competition promotion, a barcode with the date and price visible.


POSTER CONVENTIONS

        I noticed that a convention that is not always used in horror posters, seen mostly in psychological/supernatural posters, is the use of negative space around a subject. This creates the effect of building paranoia and a sense of unknowing what could happen around the subject, and I decided that this would be really effective for my poster seeing as it’s based on an artist in a dark room. It also helps to portray him as a dark minded person.

        I decided that I wanted my poster to be different to most, and after looking up other film posters, I noticed that not all main images were in the centre of the poster. I really liked this style, so I moved the main image to the left side of the poster, and kept the text on the right side of the poster. I used serif fonts for all my text, including my main title ‘Red Ink’, which I used the font ‘FFF Tusj’ to create. I chose this font, and also chose to use the red, black and white colour scheme, as I felt it worked well with the idea of the film – a killer artist. I also added the 18 certificate and credit underneath the title,  and the selling line being ‘The pen in deadlier than the sword’, a play on the idiom ‘The pen is mightier than the sword’.

0 comments:

Post a Comment